Encryption testing

Drop by and say hello
Grum

Re: Encryption testing

Post by Grum »

Now with the TLS support added I was wondering if you already have a solution to still use something like Wireshark to inspect the the packets.
I haven't really thought about using Wireshark to watch the encrypted traffic, I only used it to ensure the traffic really was encrypted. I mean, you have the source code, by far the easiest method to view which packets are sent and received is to add a couple of print statements in connection.cpp.
I see that for Browser activity you can for example tell Firefox to save the pre-master secret key to a file and then tell Wireshark to decrypt traffic using that key.
Are you using something like that?

The other option would be to have a proxy running locally, do a MITM decrypting the traffic and re-encrypting to the server afterwards.
And also doing the same in the traffic back.
Are you using that approach by any chance?
If you can get it to work with a decrypting proxy in the middle, please let me know. The entire point of this exercise was to prevent that from happening.

EDIT: post ended up on the next page, so I added some context.
+[+++++++>+<]>--.[-<-->]<.+++.--------.
brunoramoslu

Re: Encryption testing

Post by brunoramoslu »

Grum wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:57 pm If you can get it to work with a decrypting proxy in the middle, please let me know. The entire point of this exercise was to prevent that from happening.
For my specific case that would require the client to save the key the file system so that I can then configure Wireshark to load the key and decrypt the traffic.
Play around with the code and try to see how to do that.

On a side note, is there a small description on the protocol changes introduced with these latest client functionality?